Details of Unreasonable Circumstances in the Case
According to 2-Corpse-in-Concrete criminal case file: Tran Duc Linh died on January 20, 2019. 3 days later, his corpse was transported from Vung Tau to a rented house in Binh Duong. Then the evidence was destroyed by putting the corpse in a plastic barrel covered with tea leaves inside, and concrete was poured in the outer of the barrel. Tran Tri Thanh was killed on March 15, 2019, thereafter the group of women put his corpse in another rectangular plastic container then filled with concrete.
Because unable to stand the corpses’ stench, the group of women left the house and went to Tiamo hotel to stay from early April. But Mr. Vuong (the old owner of the house) and Mr. Hung (the new owner) said they arrived at the house 2 times in the middle and the end of April but did not see two concrete barrels.
Another fact is that about 1-2 weeks before the incident was discovered (May 15, 2019), the elderly neighbour (from her bedroom, she could see the house of the case) said there were many cars (4 seats, 7 seats) bustling in the area of the incident house from 00:00 midnight to 1-2 am”.
I. BASIC DETAILS
1. In testimony minutes of the women group on May 24, 2019, there was a similar way of answer:
Q: Do you ask your family member to hire a lawyer?
A: I do not ask my family member to hire any lawyer to defend me. (Image 1)
Contradiction: Each defendant would be interrogated in a separate room without them seeing each other, why do they have the same way of answering that they did not want to hire any lawyer to defend?
2. An interrogation record from 10:00 am to 12:00 am on May 18, 2019 between Pham Thi Thien Ha and the investigator. (Image 2)
“Question: When did your group of 6 people move out of the rental house in Hung Hoa commune? Where have you lived since then?
Answer: I do not remember exactly which day I left the house, it’s about more than a month ago. Because we no longer wanted to live in that house, my mother, Huyen, Thao and I packed our stuff up in the Ford Everest and rented a hotel room in Phu Thinh – Tiamo residential, Thu Dau Mot city. We’ve been living there since then. When the four of us left, Mr. Linh and Thanh still stayed in that house, we haven’t seen them again since.”
Contradiction: In the interrogation record (10am to 12 noon May 18, 2019), Pham Thi Thien Ha stated when the group of four left to rent at Tiamo hotel, “Mr. Linh and Thanh still stayed in that house, we haven’t seen them again since. ”
But in the case file, there is a record of murder confession at 8:00 am-10:00 am on May 18, 2019 (Image 3).
“I used electric baton to shock Thanh, Thanh struggled so I used the parachute rope to make a noose and put it through the door gap, made it over Thanh’s head and tightened it until I saw Thanh dead before let go”
Why did the defendant confess the murder at the 8:00-10:00 interrogation, but at the 10:00-12:00 interrogation (2 hours later) she did not plead guilty by telling a completely different story? Is it possible that the testimony at 10:00-12:00 is the true testimony of the defendant on May 18, 2019 and it accidentally remained in the case file?
II. THE DEATH OF TRAN DUC LINH
3. According to the investigation conclusion of the case, on December 27, 2018, the group of 6 people rented villa V5 at the resort in Binh Chau commune, Xuyen Moc district (Ba Ria – Vung Tau). Here, after 10 days of fasting (live without eating and drinking), Mr. Tran Duc Linh was exhausted, then beaten by Ha and Thanh and died on the evening of January 20, 2019. On January 23, 2019, the group transported the corpse from Vung Tau to the rented house at number 90 in Hung Hoa commune, Binh Duong province (Image 4).
But according to the resort staff in Vung Tau:
“The villa registration process shows Le Ngoc Phuong Thao (born in 1990) has stayed 3 times. The first time, from December 27, 2018 to January 1, 2019. Second time, from January 15 to January 20, 2019. Third time from January 21, 2019 to January 23, 2019. During the 3 times of stay, the above group all stayed in villa V5″.
Contradiction: This group of people rented the villa 3 times intermittently and no times lasted up to 10 days (the period of Mr. Linh’s fasting at the villa, according to the indictment).
4. Contradiction about Mr. Linh’s death time in the case file:
- According to the investigation conclusion, Mr. Linh died in the evening of January 20, 2019 after about 10 days of fasting. If counting back from this time, the group of people should have stayed at the villa on January 10. But in fact, the group did not stay at the villa on that date (January 10).
- In a testimony by Pham Thi Thien Ha, Mr. Linh died a few days after the New Year, (Image 5). But in fact, the group also did not stay at the villa at that time.
- According to another testimony by Le Ngoc Phuong Thao, Mr. Linh began fasting period from January 2, and 10 days later, Mr. Linh died (Image 6).
- Thus, according to Thao’s testimony, the time of Mr. Linh’s death would be around January 12, 2019. At that time, the group also did not stay at the villa.
Contradiction: Therefore, according to the case file, there are 3 times of Mr. Linh’s death: a few days after the New Year, January 12, 2019 and January 20, 2019.
5. The investigation conclusion of the case (Image 5064) recorded that Mr. Linh died on January 20, 2019 and then until January 23, 2019, his body was brought to the house of Hung Hoa commune. After that, Mr. Linh’s corpse was left in the living room of the house for a few days before the group of women went to buy things to shroud the corpse and put inside the plastic barrel.
Contradiction: It took nearly 1 week (after Mr. Linh died) to put his corpse into a plastic barrel with tea leaves and poured concrete. So why did not the neighbours smell the stench of corpses?
6. Thien Ha started to buy a 500-liter cylindrical barrel (Image 7) to put Tran Duc Linh’s corpse in.
Contradiction: In fact, this plastic barrel is 1 meter long, 60 cm in diameter, that is 220 liters, not 500 liters.
7. The cylindrical concrete block has a smooth outer surface. After breaking the outer layer of concrete, the inside appeared as a plastic barrel, and not until removing the sealed lid of the barrel, the human body was discovered (Image 8)
Contradiction: The concrete block was smashed by Mr. Nguyen Manh Hung, he said that only people with good health, technical skills and professional skills can make this concrete block.
III. THE DEATH OF TRAN TRI THANH
8. Pham Thi Thien Ha’s testimony about the death of Tran Tri Thanh (Image 9)
“Because it rained quite heavily, the neighbors around the house all closed their door, so Tran Tri Thanh’s screams when being electrocuted was quite loud but no one could hear.”
The conclusion of the investigation shows that Tran Tri Thanh died on March 15, 2019, when it rained (Image 9)
Contradiction: Binh Duong is located in the Southeast region of Vietnam which has two distinct dry and wet seasons. The rainy season is from late April-early May to November. Mid-March is the peak of the dry season in the South.
The VTC 14’s Weather Forecast said that it was sunny and no rain on March 15, 2019.
Rainfall information data of the General Department of Water Resources stored at the website hochuavietnam.vn also showed that on March 15, 2019, the recorded rainfall in Binh Duong was 0ml. (Image 9.1)
Therefore the detail that on March 15, 2019, it was raining so hard and lightning that it suppressed Tran Tri Thanh’s screams, making neighbors not aware of the incident, was very absurd.
9. Pham Thi Thien Ha said in her testimony that she went online to order a rectangular plastic container with a volume of 1000 liters (Image 10).
Contradiction: The plastic barrel at the scene labeled TH 750 Thinhhoa Plastic (Image 11) is 750 liters.
10. Nguyen Ngoc Tam Huyen stated that: “The next day, I am responsible for mixing sand and cement in the living room to let Thao pour it into the plastic barrel” (Image 12)
Contradiction: On May 16, 2019, when the incident was just discovered, the recorded video of the scene showed that the living room was very clean. If this room was used to mix cement, sand … to make concrete, it was not possible to be that clean (Image 13), (Image 14).
11. Nguyen Ngoc Tam Huyen stated that: “Thao and I then tied the parachute rope around the plastic barrel containing Linh’s body and dragged it into the room where Thanh’s body was located” (Image 12)
Contradiction: Two concrete barrels were too heavy, even the strong men could not carry, later the cylindrical barrel was rolled onto the side of the house. How could two feeble women be able to pull such a heavy concrete block? Moreover, the concrete block containing Mr. Linh’s body was a round cylindrical one, wasn’t it easier for the group of women to roll than to drag?
IV. CORPSES’ PHOTOS
12. According to the testimonies of the case, the corpse taken from the cylindrical concrete block was Tran Duc Linh and the body in the rectangular block was Tran Tri Thanh, (Image 15), (Image 16).
Contradiction: The corpses’ photos show the opposite.
The corpse taken from the cylinder was “Tran Duc Linh” but the name was given as “Tran Tri Thanh” and vice versa. Is the testimony or the photo correct? and is there anything suspicious with these two bodies?
13. The photo book of the corpse was made on May 16, 2019 and the name “Tran Tri Thanh, born in 1992” was printed on the cover page. (Image 17)
Contradiction: May 16, 2019 was the time when two bodies had just been discovered, suspects had not been arrested, there was no testimony, and no DNA of the victim’s family as evidence. So why did the investigation agency know that the body was Tran Tri Thanh?
14. The gender of Tran Tri Thanh’s corpse was recorded as male.
Contradiction: But on the morning of May 16, 2019, many newspapers in Vietnam published that the body was a female, (Image 18), (Image 19).
“2 bodies discovered in the plastic barrels are one male and one female”
“As we know, one of the 2 bodies discovered is female”
Mr. Nguyen Manh Hung (who directly smashed concrete blocks) with many years of experience in graving asserted that the corpse was female because of the very large pelvic structure (man’s pelvic is small). He also said that when the investigation agency removed the body from the scene, the body was placed face-down on a stretcher. (According to the photo, the genitals of “Tran Tri Thanh” corpse has been decomposed).
15. According to the case file, Tran Duc Linh died on January 20, 2019 (the body had decomposed nearly 4 months), and Tran Tri Thanh died on March 15, 2019 (the body had decomposed for more than 2 months) up to the date of discovery of 2 concrete barrels (May 15).
Contradiction: Results of the initial forensic examination by Binh Duong Provincial Police said that these two bodies had just died for more than a month. Mr. Nguyen Manh Hung confirmed that both corpses have not been completely decomposed and are still intact. (Image 20)
In the corpse photos, the corpse “Tran Tri Thanh” that died more than 2 months decomposed more severely than the corpse “Tran Duc Linh” that died nearly 4 months. The head of the corpse which was “supposed” to be Tran Tri Thanh completely decomposed, only a bare skull left.
16. No DNA test results, only fingerprint photo inspection results.
Contradiction: If a corpse has been dead for a long time, the DNA test result will obviously give more accurate results than a fingerprint examination. Moreover, the investigation agency took DNA samples of Tran Tri Thanh’s parents right after the incident and told them that after 1 or 2 days, the result would be available. But until now (more than 1 year), Tran Tri Thanh’s parents have not received DNA test results.
17. Result of Tran Duc Linh’s fingerprint inspection was released on February 14, 2020 and that of Tran Tri Thanh was on February 20, 2020, (Image 21).
Contradiction: the investigation agency only got the results of fingerprint inspection after 9 months. So at the time of May 2019, why could the investigation agency confirm the identities of the victims as Tran Duc Linh and Tran Tri Thanh? In addition, both bodies were cremated and families were not able to see the body before the cremation. The question is that, why did the two bodies have to be cremated so hastily without waiting for DNA and fingerprint test results.
18. Fingerprint inspection results of the Criminal Technical Department of the Binh Duong Provincial Police (February 20, 2020) shows that the photo of the right index finger of the body and the fingerprint in the ID card of Tran Tri Thanh is “of the same person” (Image 22).
Contradiction: But the photograph of the corpse shows that the right index finger amputated two knuckle bones
So how could it compare with Tran Tri Thanh’s fingerprints to give “matching” results?
19. Results of the initial forensic examination of Binh Duong Provincial Police showed that the two bodies were in the age group of 30-35 years old, (Image 23).
Contradiction: Actually, Tran Duc Linh is 52 years old and Tran Tri Thanh is 27 years old.
20. The body of “Tran Tri Thanh” had 3 missing teeth. (Image 14)
Contradiction: The act of electric shock and strangulation can hardly cause a tooth break, and the three missing teeth are not adjacent: Teeth number 3, 5, and 6.